Thursday, September 9, 2010

Get Your Head in the Game

Tony! Toni! Tone! said it best…”Do you know what today is?” No, it’s not your anniversary, so fall back. But it does mark a pivotal day in the sports world. Do you know what it is? If you don’t…go kill yourself. Well don’t do that, but it is possible that you have effectively killed your relationship, or any potential that you would have had of finding a significant other.

This message is for the ladies.
If you don’t know what today is, shame on you, because it is effectively the day where your relationship will change for at least the next 4 to 5 months. It is the first game of the NFL regular season. Why is this important? Because (and I have no REAL statistics to back this) at least 95% of men are either football fans or sports fans. In my 25, almost 26 years on this earth, I am dumbfounded every time I meet a woman who has NO IDEA what a touchdown is, or how many points a field goal is worth. If it’s annoying to me, I know for a fact it’s annoying to your significant other. Sports aren’t just some annoying thing that men use to ignore you; it’s something that they truly enjoy. (Think about your guilty pleasure, like ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’, or a Broadway play.) If your man is into sports as much as I am, your ignorance on the topic is just plain ridiculous.

I have been an AVID Pittsburgh Steelers fan for 25 years (yes, I was a fan when I came out the womb). I live, breathe, sing, talk smack, act ridiculous, and anything else you can think of for the mighty Black and GOLD. My knowledge of sports ensures that Julius and I don’t have topics that are off limits. I can talk about almost any sport on this planet, but I am well versed in the fundamentals of football, basketball, and baseball. Because of my understanding of sports, I have never been the annoying girlfriend/fiancé/wife that interrupts him when he was watching the game. I actually watch it with him. I never get an attitude when he wants to play Madden with his boys. I actually root for him. It was never a chore to get him tickets to a basketball game, or for us to watch football because I understood what was going on.
Have I knocked on your door yet? Well picture this; Julius doesn’t (better NOT) have anything to say when I ask him to go to a Broadway play. And he doesn’t have an attitude when I want to see a chick flick. Why? Because I don’t give him any lip when he does so-called “guy things.”
If you’re single, learn sports because it’s a great icebreaker. If you have a luva, learn sports so that there will be one less argument that you and your booski wooski have. But all jokes aside, FOOTBALL IS THE ISH…so get off your high horse and watch the greatest game ON EARTH.And if you don’t have a team to root for, root for the best team in the Universe, the Pittsburgh Steelers.




And my good deed is done for the day. Fellas, you can thank me now…

3 comments:

  1. Yep, muchos gracias! You should change your screen name to "God's Gift to Men".

    On the real though, this is the Golden Rule at its best. Sorry Mr. Slim, I see many a chick flick in your near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this is so true. Women need to at least take the time to learn the basics of the game so they can at least follow. They dont have to become the biggest sports fan ever--but don't make it harder on yourself (and your sig fig) by choosing to be ignorant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!!!!! I too am a Steelers fan..born and raised in PA I would have it no other way. I am also a Boston Celtics fan...love the games!! You hit the nail right on the head with this post. Thank you, I will def be tuning in fellow "Pittsburgher"!

    ReplyDelete