Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Truth Be Told

So the other night I found myself in a bad mood (as the old folk say, I threw a hissy fit). For the first time in our short-lived existence, Young, Black, and Married received some backlash. Now it wasn’t only what was said, but how it was said. One of my main reservations with writing a blog was misinterpretation. Depending on how you read or absorb content, it may be misconstrued. To talk specifics, I didn’t necessarily appreciate how some people (males in particular) took my baby’s article, “A Message to All the Single Fellas”. For those that didn’t miss the point, thanks for your lack of simpleness (won’t find that in Webster’s). We have, and always will, write based on our personal thoughts, feelings, and experiences (why the hell else would anybody write a blog). Maybe I’m being biased, but I had no idea that some readers (again, males) would take such offense to what was written. From that one article, some people got the impression that my baby is either some type of cold, heartless bitch, or that I’m some type of superficial dude that steam-rolls over Rachel’s ass whenever I feel like it. Not the case on either end. We do what works for us. Period. And believe it or not, we work WITH each other (as evidenced by this blog).



Now I’m all for great debates and different perspectives, but if your goal is knit-pick your way through an article, what value are you adding to the dialogue? We’ll use Teddy P. or T-Pain whenever we see fit. If they emphasize the point of our message, guess what, we’re using it. If our experience has been, “getting cussed out”, or “doing somebody wrong”, that’s our experience. We live and we learn. Maybe if somebody cussed you out, you might be a little further along in life. As I stated in my article, one size DOES NOT fit all, so do what works for you. If you don’t want to hear the truth, so be it. If you want someone to whisper sweet nothings in your ear all day, good luck finding her. If you already have her, more power to you. I grew up getting yelled at, cussed out, and beat (no, I wasn’t a slave – mommy and daddy loved me), and I’m not complaining. If it keeps me out of jail or the grave, I’m all ears! I’m off topic, but I had to get that off my chest. I got your back baby! You can be as crazy as you want with me.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand…In my infinite wisdom, I made the executive decision to write to the ladies, and Rachel write to the fellas. I felt (and still do feel) that it was important to understand the opposite sex’s perspective. I could critique the fellas all day, but it’s not me they’re after (no comment), and visa versa. What was more important was to understand what we see in ourselves that could use a second look. After all, at the end of the day we’re fighting black marriage statistics, not each other.
In looking at and listening to some of the comments that were made, I found myself second-guessing….MYSELF. I sat down wondering if I missed something. Then I realized, “Do you fools listen to music, or do you just skim through it?” (Jay-Z gives me a nugget from time-to-time). It’s a shame when the people who need it most miss the point. We (men) CAN be emotionally withdrawn. We DO have self-esteem issues, and we CAN be too prideful. The women in our lives see us for who we are, both good and bad. It’s better that they bring up our faults so we can get our game tight rather than navigating through the world looking ridiculous. Call it tough love.


Rachel and I talked it out, and a valid point that she and one of her colleagues brought up was that men in general (myself included) can be very sensitive at times. The minute someone points out our faults or short-comings, we either go on the attack, or try and dodge bullets like we’re Neo in the Matrix. Sometimes we just need to take it on the chin. No, I’m not an advocate for women talking to men any ole way they want, but I am of the opinion that we could stand to be a little less sensitive when women do “critique” us. Part of the problem is that we as men aren’t subject to the same type of scrutiny that women go through. They’ve heard for years that they need to dress a certain way, act a certain way, and look a certain way. Can’t say we’ve been held to the same standard, and therefore, taking criticism wasn’t (and isn’t) as natural for us. What I’ve learned over the years is that I’m better as a man, a leader, and a husband because of the criticism I’ve taken over the years. No, it wasn’t always packaged in a pretty box with a nice bow and ribbon attached, but that didn’t stop me from working on bettering myself. I’ll never forget being in high school and my mom telling me that, “No woman’s going to want to suck on your face with all that shit on it.” Were my feelings hurt? Yes!! Did I let her bust that acne on my face? Hell Yes!!! Why?? Because I looked 10 times better after she worked on my face. Had she never said anything, I would’ve walked around thinking it was all good when it really wasn’t.
If you don’t want to be better, keep on doing what you’re doing and see where it gets you. Yes, women can be abrasive at times, but don’t let that stop you from absorbing good information. Remember, they wouldn’t say it if they didn’t care, even though it may not feel that way at the time.
“The truth hurts, but you can’t be scared of it.” - Outkast

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate the way Rachel respectfully tried to address the critic and i love how you, Julius, came out to support your woman.

    For the record I can quote jay-z and cornel west in the same breath and sound as uniquely eloquent and socially aware as a muhfu...soooo..

    Yea...if gets your point across--it gets your point across. There's no need for someone to try to point it out as if you're hailing it to the world as the Gospel and New Testament. Sometimes hip-hop references work and maybe, just maybe they work in the context of the style of writing--isn't that a concept!!

    10 points for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's only fair for your article to get nit-picked since Rachel's did, so here goes (he he!):

    1. Your Outkast quote isn't relevant because they haven't come out with an album on which they perform together since... Idlewild?... Please only use current artists and mix it up with quote from a Black comedian every now and again.

    2. If somebody sucks your whole face, they'll cover your mouth and nose at the same time and you won't be able to breathe. Acne or not, face sucking should never happen.

    3. Although I practice my Matrix moves every night before bed, I've never tried to use them in a heated argument with a woman. You're way off base and out of line. I'm very upset by this comment. And no, I'm not being sensitive - you disrespected me personally and and I needed to set the record straight!

    Okay, enough B.S. Both of you keep writing because most readers get a lot out of your blog. Be thankful for the hater comments too - the best TV shows have a little drama sprinkled in, so consider yourselves well on your way to a blogspot phenomenon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent post... and as the old adage goes, "if they're mad at you--- you must be doing something right."

    People feel powerful when they post anonymous and spit venom at others. The real power is being able to be yourself and speak truth to power. Besides... it's much more brave to be honest and open about your relationship so that others can share and learn from the two of you than to be to an anonymous hater on a blog.

    p.s. I don't know what this previous commenter is coming from... but Outkast is always fresh in my book! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yes, women can be abrasive at times, but don’t let that stop you from absorbing good information."
    That's what I'm dealing with now in my own relationship so I soooo appreciate this blog post! I haven't read your wife's post in question but I could imagine the shade it must've gotten bc [in my experience!] men have a tough time admitting their wrong..at least at that very moment.
    but back to me! lol I genuinely thoroughly love what you've had to say Julius. esp. about how men can be. I know in my relationship, I can lash out or be sarcastic but I also acknowledge that it's wrong and apologize. but some things need to be said. not "absorbing good information" out of spite and stubbornness only makes things sooo much more difficult!
    bc if I really didn't mean it or thought it needed to be dealt with, I wouldn't of mentioned it! He can may think I'm trying to pull a fast one on him bc I do critique but he's a critic also in my behavior. I just want us BOTH to acknowledge and grow not sit around pointing fingers...so we can be better partners for the day we do decide to get married :)
    I'm a reader and I take something away everytime I stop by.
    THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU! THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA!!

    ReplyDelete